> >> Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?
>
> I can't give you a satisfying answer for this, but
>
> Should'nt \expandafter\type\expandafter{\arg{bla}} be
> \type{{bla}}?
>
> gives
>
> Should?nt \dohandlemathtokenarg{bla} be {bla}?
>
> (so I guess the answer is probably no)

\arg is one of the verbatim macros, like \type, \typ, \tex
and is describte in 'cont-enp.pdf' on page 101.

The description looks a bit incomplete: (the command encloses the
text with .)
(Can someone, with the right to do that, add this to the list of
typos, please?)

The definition of \arg is in 'core-ver.tex' and copying this
in a separate file works as expected:

\starttext
\unprotect
\def\setgroupedtype
  {\let\currenttypingclass\??ty
   \initializetype
   \catcode`\{=\@@begingroup
   \catcode`\}=\@@endgroup}

\unexpanded\def\arg{%
\groupedcommand{\setgroupedtype\leftargument}{\rightargument}}
\protect
\arg{bla}
\stoptext

So there must something be damaged.