On 8/27/06, Pepe Barbe wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > \define\mymacro#1 is equivalent to
> >
> > \def\mymacro#1 but also checks if mymacro has already been defined.
>
> Thanks for the info. I am using \define for something simple, define
> some keywords with special format that I will be repeating a lot.
> Something like:
>
> \define\mybi{\bf\sl BoldItalic}

\define\mybi{{\bs BoldItalic}}

You need two braces, otherwise everything else will be bold italic as well.

> Works fin except that if I use in a sentence like: This is \mybi word.

Any space after a command is ignored (unless you start a new paragraph).

This is \mybi{} word.
This is \mybi\ word.

Don Knuth has written an excellent book about TeX (TeXBOOK) that is
really worth reading. Try to find it in a library or to compile it
from the source:
    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/texbook.html

Mojca