On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:46:56 +0100
Sanjoy Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I don't have a cont-sys.tex, but cont-sys.rme
> has these lines
>
> % \runMPgraphicstrue
> % \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
>
> The .rme extension meant I'd missed it when I ran grep on the .tex
> files.  I'll uncomment them.
>
> Oh, that's not a good idea, because the next context update will
> overwrite cont-sys.rme.  So I should copy cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex
> first, then uncomment the lines in cont-sys.tex.  But then a context
> update will overwrite cont-sys.rme, and the new version will be
> ignored because I have a cont-sys.tex.
>
> So maybe the best approach is to edit cont-sys.rme directly, then
> merge changes (using a revision control system like mercurial or git)
> that arrive with the new context distributions.
>
> -Sanjoy

You could make a copy of cont-sys.rme and save it as cont-sys.tex
without problems.

The cont-sy.rme file is only loaded when ConTeXt can't find a
cont-sys.tex file on your system.

Don't bother about changes in the cont-sys.rme with a new ConTeXt
release, because the standalone Distribution for Windows comes with
both files and they have also differences. cont-sys.rme says
defaultencoding=ec and cont-sys.tex says defaultencoding=texnansi :-)

AFAIK this is somewhere mentioned in one of the manuals.

Wolfgang