Thanks, that's very helpful.  I didn't understand everything that
happened in your installation notes, but for what I did understand
(most of it) I agree with what you say.  I'll go through it again,
figure out what I'm still confused about, and then ask you on the
list.

> PPS: No, still no idea who should write all that documentation.

I'll make a start.  Probably the best is to have two pages, one for
system-wide installation in /usr/local/share/texmf, for which life can
be a lot simpler, and one for personal installation in $HOME/texmf.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.