andrea valle wrote:
> Example:
>
> \definelayer    [layer2a][width=.15\paperwidth]
>
> \setlayer       [layer2a]
>                  [x=.15\paperwidth, y=.5\paperheight]
>                  {\externalfigure[layTest][width=.75\paperwidth]}

extend your example with

\clip[width=.15\paperwidth,height=<define
one>,hoffset=0pt,voffset=0pt]{\externalfigure..}

and you can see the difference.. (no picture in the smaller layer).

As I already mentioned, the size is (only?) significant, if you change
the default positioning (reference point). For example, you want to
place something with an offset of 2cm to the right bottom corner of the
layer. Therefore you need the exact width and height of the layer.
All default positioning (relative to top left corner of the layer)
doesn't care about the size, as there is no difference (no calculation
is needed).

I hope I have made myself clear.

Greetings, Peter