On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> >    - draftmode: With \pdfdraftmode=1 or the commandline switch -draftmode
> >      pdfTeX doesn't write the output pdf and doesn't actually read any
> >      images, thus speeding up compilations when you know you need an extra
> >      run but don't care about the output, e.g. just to get the BibTeX
> >      references right
>
> Hello,
> I'm thinking of "\doifnotmode{*last}{\pdfdraftmode=1}", but how do I ask
> for an additional imposition pass?

Interesting idea. I do not (yet) have pdf-1.40 so I can not test this.
Does it work for "normal" cases? The modes manual says

*last* This mode is set if the last run in a session is taking place.
Normally this is not known in advance, unless one has asked for an
additional imposition pass.

which makes be believe that it will not work for normal cases.
However, how about adding a switch to texexec, say --draft, which
will run the document in draftmode until no more runs are needed, and
will then run a final typesetting run without the draftmode. This may
speed up the execution time for long documents significantly.

Aditya