"Thomas A. Schmitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> explains:
> Yes, this is possible. Just make every lecture its own section, refer
> to the titles you want included in every list with \nocite commands
> at the beginning of every section, have the list typeset with
> \placepublications[criterium=cite]. If you want continuous numbering
> for all your lists, add  [option=continue].

That's very helpful.  I was going to ask the same question in a month
or so when I might arrange the references in my math textbook that
way.  Here's an example file that I'll wikify if a similar example
isn't there already and no one finds problems with it.

Note in passing: \placepublications[criterium=section] and
\placepublications[criterium=cite] should (and do) give the same
results in the further-reading section.

Taco,
      For a rainy day, what about \setuppublications[option=continue]
that implicitly appends option=continue to all but the first
\placepublications commands?  (If it does so for the first one
then the numbering starts from 37 or thereabouts, as I found out by
trying it.)

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

========================= nocite.tex =============================
% Example of per-chapter bibliographies and a per-chapter 'Further
% reading' section.
%
% 2007-01-15:
%     Written by Sanjoy Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> based on the
%     explanation by Thomas Schmitz ('multiple bibliographies',
%     ntg-context list, 15 Jan 2007).
%
% Public domain.
%

\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setuppublications[alternative=num]

\setupbibtex[database=xampl]

\starttext

\chapter{One}

Some useful references are \cite[article-minimal].  See
\cite[article-full] for the full bibliography info.

\section[sec:further]{Further reading}

\nocite[whole-journal,incollection-full]

If you are curious, here are a few further readings:
\bigskip
% criterium=section and =cite give the same results in this case situation
\placepublications[criterium=section]
%\placepublications[criterium=cite]

\section{Chapter references}

Here are all the references from this chapter, including the
`further reading'.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=chapter,option=continue]

\chapter{Two}

\cite[inbook-crossref] is a classic.  People should also read
\cite[book-minimal] but it can be rough going.

\section{Chapter references}

Here are the references from this chapter.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=chapter,option=continue]

\title{References for the whole document}

Here are the references from the entire document: in all
chapters and including the further reading.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=all,option=continue]