On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> Here is something strange:
>
> [snip]
>
> will not compile:
>
> ==================
> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
> <to be read again>
>                    \@@vnmetanoten
> \dochecknote ...\relax \ifnum \noteparameter \c!n
>                                                   =\zerocount
> \settextnotes ...
>
> \dodoflushnotes ...zeropoint \bgroup \dochecknote
>                                                   \ifendnotes \else
> \scratch...
>
> \next1 #1,->\doprocessnotes {\dodoflushnotes }{#1}
>                                                   \doprocesscommaitem
> \doprocesscommalist ...item \gobbleoneargument #1,
>                                                   ]\relax \global \advance
> \...
>
> \doflushnotes ...rt \processnotes \dodoflushnotes
>                                                   \global \setfalse
> \postpon...
> l.56

Well, a simple minimal example

\starttext

{ \definenote[metanote][conversion=set 2]
   Test\metanote{test}
}

\stoptext

Since the note is defined in a group, its meaning is lost when you go
out of the group. But the note in actually inserted at the end of the
current-page, by which time, tex has no idea of counter of the note,
hence the error.

I am not sure if this is the "correct" behaviour or should definenote
should change to make sure that something like this works. I tend to
think that this is the correct behaviour. Do you really need to define
the note inside a group?

(In your example the group is being created by the braces in
{\typebuffer \getbuffer})

Aditya