I think the curious string of numbers mentioned earlier are actually related to
footnotes. The author for whatever reason prefers endnotes instead of true
footnotes, and specified them in a block after all the chapters. So I defined
footnotes thus:

\setupfootnotes[location=none]

so that I could generate the endnote numbers thus
\footnote{}

at the correct places in the text.

Apparently Context stores these blank footnotes up and puts them at the end,
even though [location=none] is specified. {location=high] doesn't seem to help
either. So I will force them onto a blank page and strip off that page.

This problem arose when I added an index to the end so I fell into the post hoc
ergo propter hoc fallacy. Sorry about that.

The problem with page ranges in an index remains however. So I have come up
with a kludge so that I can use my old reliable makeindex:

\newwrite\ind
\immediate\openout\ind=book.idx
\input idx.tex
\def\sidx#1{\write\ind{\\indexentry{#1}{\the\pageno}}}

No one seems to be able to make eplain.tex work with Context so this is the
best I can do in a hurry.

John Culleton

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com