Dear Luigi, dear Rolf,

thank you for your help.

Below is a (hopefully) better example of what I try to do and where it
fails.

The last line in tabulate (starting with "22C6") loses the grid, and I
can't see why.

Unfortunately the solutions you suggested did not work for me.
I do want to avoid to specify cell heights, I just want to arrange
paragraph boxes, all (horizontally) top-aligned with each entry in my table.

TABLE with \synchronizegrid would do the trick (a non-framed table would
have grid-keeping rows). Still it seems to fail in my specific setting
(two-column, I could not trace down what the problem really is).
And the need to specify the number of rows is a problem in my case, as I
would need to add a parameter to my macro etc.

Johannes

%%%%%%%%%%

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\showgrid
\showstruts

\starttext

\input tufte

\starttabulate[|p(.1\textwidth)|p(.1\textwidth)|p(.5\textwidth)|p(.2\textwidth)|]%
    \NC 002B
    \NC $+$
    \NC plus; Addition
    \NC
  \NR
    \NC 00D7
    \NC $\times$
    \NC kartesisches Produkt (von Mengen);\hfill\break
        Kreuzprodukt (Vektorprodukt);\hfill\break
        mal; Produkt (bei Zahlwerten)
    \NC
  \NR
    \NC 2217
    \NC $*$
    \NC (Stern, Asterisk); Konvolution; Faltung; Produkt
    \NC
  \NR
    \NC 22C6
    \NC $\star$
    \NC (Stern); Zeichen fuer spezielle Produkte
    \NC
  \NR
\stoptabulate

\blank