Thank you both, Taco and Wolfgang.

I will make use of your suggestions and solutions.

BTW. It seems that now I have to put some of the styling of the
numerals, such as using small caps in the setups of right and left.
For example:

\unprotect
\startsetups [numberitemleft]
  \hbox to \dimexpr\getitemparameter\itemlevel \c!width -
                   \getitemparameter\itemlevel \c!distance\relax
      \bgroup\hfill
      \cap\bgroup(
\stopsetups

\startsetups [numberitemright]
  )\egroup
  \egroup
\stopsetups
\protect

\starttext
\startitemize[n][style=bold]
\item As a college student, how do you rate yourself?
\startitemize[R,packed][left={\setups[numberitemleft]},
                        right={\setups[numberitemright]},
                        stopper={.},
                        width=4.5em,
                        style=\sl,