Quoting Oliver Buerschaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Wolfgang, Jelle,
>
> thanks for your suggestions ... problem solved!

This thread brings up something that I have been thinking of for a
while. Similar problems occur in amsmath aligned family which accepts
an optional argument. mathtools.sty has an option so that the optional
argument will work only if placed on the same line. In terms of ConTeXt
that means,

\startformula[9pt]
math
\stopformula

\startformula [9pt]
math
\stopformula

will put the formula in 9pt font, while
\startformula
  [9pt]
  math
\stopformula

will display "[9pt] math". I have not looked into the details of how
mathtools implements this, but it should be possible to port it to
context. Will something like this be useful to have, or is adding
\relax once in a while alright?

Aditya