[...]

> I increased those values now
>
> \def\defaultwidowpenalty{9000}
> \def\defaultclubpenalty{9000}
>
> and it works for all cases except one. So maybe I just go down the
> manual path ...

then try \clubpenalty=10000 \widowpenalty=10000 \brokenpenalty 0

Any change?

TeX's paragraph/page breaking is a highly complex thing, there are
lots of parameters to play with. For a complete refrerence you'll
probably need Knuth's original TeX book. But with these three
penalites above, you should be able to solve the problem.

> ... surprisingly it seemed to affect also the footnote problem.
> There is also only one case left. Are those two somehow related?

This is beyond my knowledge, but here is a guess: These are related,
but only very deep down inside. So for most practical cases, these
two are different things.

Patrick