> luatex --version
> zsh: exec format error: tex/texmf-macosx/bin/luatex

  It has been reported and should be fixed sortly. In the mean time you
can try replacing the binary with the content of
http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/download.php/494/luatex-beta-0.10.1-macosx-universal.tar.bz2

> It may have been built for i386 exclusively.

  Indeed. The above link should yield a “universal” binary which,
unfortunately, I haven't been able to test on PPC, so I'm interested in
your feedback (as well as other's!).

> 2. I could only generate the database and the formats after having
> set the variables explicitly:

  Yes, this is for the moment a feature. As Hans said, kpathsea isn't
used any more, so even setting TEXMFCNF is not enough, as its contents
aren't always inspected (at least under certain circumstances).

> mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=pagella
> Error in lua file loading: cannot open : No such file or directory

  No idea about this one, sorry. Setting LUATEXDIR might help.

        Arthur