On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, John R. Culleton wrote:

> I am trying to run a bunch of docbook files related to Krita.  The
> convention in these files seems to be to prefix subordinate file
> names with an & character.

I do not understand what you mean by this. Can you post a sample text?

> If I run e.g,
> texexec index.docbook
> it blows up on the first such ampersand. I can of course edit all the
> files to replace & with \& but I wonder if there is a better
> strategy?

AFAIU XML, having a lone & in the file is not valid. You need to
have & if you want ampersand. Any other entity (&something;)
should be appropriately defined by some style file.

> I also tried the various "docbook2xxx" style utilities but they all
> failed to produce meaningful results.

Is it a valid xml file? Is it a valid docbook file? Do the utilities
work with simple sample files.

> All I want to do is read the #$% files!

Did you try db2latex? It comes with db2context which handles a large
subset of docbook specifications.

Aditya