On 10/27/07, George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Berend de Boer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just had sometime to update to texlive 2007 from the DVD that was on
> > the shelf for quite some time.
> >
> > But as usual, the default postscript fonts don't work.
>
> Since I gave away my NeXT system, I no longer have Adobe fonts.
> Linux has (some version of) the URW fonts, so that is what I use.
>
> Most of the font support in TL is for LaTeX.  ConTeXt started out using
> plain tex mechanism and then took a different approach.   Look for
> mfont.pdf on the ConTeXt site (I don't see it in TeX Live).   It explains
> how to generate the missing map files as well as the typescript.
>
> You might look into XeTeX and (eventually) luatex, which are supposed to
> make it easier to use system fonts.
>
> > Setup: default texlive 2007. No cont-sys.tex. I used updmap --edit to
> > change LW35 to ADOBEkb.
> >
> > Here my test file:

> > \setupbodyfont
> >   [postscript,11pt]

You are missing this line (in front of setupbodyfont) for example:

\usetypescript[postscript][ec]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,11pt]

Does this work?

8r are "kind-of-not-supported any more", that's why files might be missing.

Note that the line above currently loads some urw fonts, while it will
load TeX Gyre in the future.

> Try just "[pos,11pt]".  I get:  (using the MKiV context with the svn version
> of
> TL, so your results may not be quite the same, but this stuff shouldn't have
> changed much.

Tthis syntax is obsolete and only left there for backward
compatibility. See type-pre.tex:

%D This file is obsolete. We now have latin modern and proper
%D typescripts. Forget about this file.

%D This file defines some typescripts that simulate the pre-typescript way
%D of defining fonts. This file will not be extended.

\starttypescript [pos]
  \usetypescript [postscript] [\defaultencoding]
  \setupbodyfont [postscript]
\stoptypescript

Mojca

PS: true, updmap is not used