Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two identical files, one named main.ctx.tex and the other
> tmp.ctx.tmp.  The latter was made by copying the former.  Both files
> contain just this:

ctx suffixes are kind of special (depends a bit how used, but as part of
workflows context will read them as xml files and lookup mapped names)
and tmp is used for buffers and such (but normally the buffer name is
prefixed); another situation may occur when tmp is used to save the top
file (texexec options)

> \starttext
>
> \stoptext
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: context
> %%% TeX-master: t
> %%% End:
>
> tmp.ctx.tex compiles fine, but main.ctx.tex fails with this error:
>
> system          : main.ctx.top loaded
> (./main.ctx.top) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo)
> (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo)
> (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo) (./main.ctx.tuo)
> (./main.ctx.tuo
> ! Missing \endcsname inserted.

depends on what is read from the tuo file, hard to see what happens
without example