> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails

  Yes, Mark IV fails on my machine too (ConTeXt  ver: 2007.12.21 20:50 MKIV).

>                                                        (live ConTeXt is
> broken).

  I had a look at that but I couldn't figure out why, and I don't have
that much time right now.  The problem seems to be that ConTeXt doesn't
find the fonts, which doesn't make much sense since the installation has
not changed in months (except that we upgrade to the latest beta each
time it is released).

        Arthur