Thank you for your reply. Over the weekend, I think I attempted to install
Linux Binaries out of the expectation that Linux binaries would work on any
X86 machine, provided perl and ruby are  available.

I am new to the mac environment and the reason I bought it was to be able to
have a nice user interface on top of a long established BSD UNIX
distribution. I was also assuming that on that type of machine, I could do
what is easily done on a Linux machine.

Giulio