"Idris Samawi Hamid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:03:12 -0700, Jesse Alama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I tried switching to nice old-style numerals for a table of contents,
>> and found to my chagrin that the periods in the numbers, such as the "."
>> in "2.3", get typeset as triangles.  You can see the result (verified on
>> the live context in the garden) with
>>
>>   \starttext
>>   {\os 2.3}
>>   \stoptext
>>
>> What's going on?  How can I get periods rather than triangles?
>
> If you are using pdfTeX, you have to switch to an encoding that uses
> oldstyle numerals. This is because the knuthian font with oldstyle is a
> special, not general purpose, font, and has triangles where the period
> would be etc. You have to activate oldstyle globally for any but the most
> narrow purposes.
>
> Something like the following
>
> \usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
> typescript
> \usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[reset]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]
>
> used to work in mkii (pdftex + context) but I don't know if it still does
> -- mkii support for oldstyle has not been a stable feature (due to the
> changes from cm to lm): I had to recalibrate every couple of years or so.
> So try and see.

It looks like this is more complicated than I thought.  What would I do
if I wanted old-style numerals just for a table of contents?  Currently,
my table of contents is set up like so:

  \setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c,numberstyle={\os},pagestyle={\os}]

This produces the triangles for periods, and I think I understand why
that is so.  What value should go in for the numberstyle key to enable
old-style numerals just for the table of contents?

Thanks,

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama ([EMAIL PROTECTED])