On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Charles P. Schaum wrote:

> Question:
>
> Has anyone ever thought of integrating something dot-like into ConTeXt
> or LaTeX?

Have a look at dot2tex: http://www.fauskes.net/code/dot2tex/

It uses a python script to convert the dot output to tikz or pgf code
which can be included in a latex document. This package should also work
with ConTeXt with very minor changes and has been in my to be investigated
later list for a long time.

> One thing that I have done is avail myself of the constrained
> graphs for doing anything like timelines. It would be fantastic to get
> that in TeX and friends.
>
> Or would that fall under dot -> MetaPost?

>From what I remember, dot can output metapost code. However, the last time
I looked, it was really bad at calculating the width of tex math commands
(basically counted the width of the ascii markup rather than the typeset
command). I do not know how dot2tex gets around this problem, but from the
examples on the website, it does a remarkable good job.

Another option is to see if there are lua bindings for dot. In that case,
one could probably try to integrate it to luatex directly: find the width
of the labels using tex, and then pass them on to dot (using the
lua-bindings) to find the appropriate layout of the nodes, and then plot
these nodes using metapost or pgf. I think that it will take a lot of work
to get such an approach to work correctly, but it would be the cleanest
solution.

Aditya