On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:

> The \about cross reference command woks ok if I use
> \about[aa]
>
> It delivers the title (or part of it in this case) of the section
> marked aa.
>
> but when I try to give it some text it blows up on the text, e.g.,
> \about{foo}[aa]
>
> So what if anything goes between the { and the }? What purpose do they
> serve?

\about does not support \about{...}[...] kind of references like \in or
\at. Does some documentation say that this is supported? This is what
core-ref.tex says

\definecommand about {\dospecialabout}
\unexpanded\def\dospecialabout[#1]%
  {...}

This explains the error message that you get when you try \about{foo}[aa].

What do you want to achieve with \about{foo}[aa]? There may be some other
way to do that.

Aditya