On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2008, at 2:37 AM, John Culleton wrote:
>
>> There are days when I feel like collecting all the bits and pieces and
>> writing somthing myself. But then I lie down until the fit passes.
>
> The lack of proper end user documentation is one of the main problems
> with ConTeXt. There was talk of a book about ConTeXt but I haven't
> heard about that one for a while. Probably impossible given the lack
> of stability (aka ongoing development) of ConTeXt.

I believe a ConTeXt book is possible even with the problem of chasing a
moving target. The user interface has not changed in quite some time.
Moreover, we do not need an exhaustive manual listing all the features of
ConTeXt; we need a user manual that explains the most commonly used
features.

Currently, the trouble with writing a book is that there is no one way of
installing ConTeXt. Hopefully that will change once the minimal become
more stable. The other thing is font handling, which is becoming
considerably simpler with mkiv. Another thing is math support, which still
lacks certain features that are critical. The right to left typsetting
support is just beginning, and I imagine it will take some time before we
settle on a stable interface.

However, if we look at typsetting text in European languages with figures,
tables, and footnotes, the interface has been more of less stable for more
than 5 years. So, we can have a book that talks about the most common
issues of these features and does not try to be exhaustive. I believe that
it will be very useful to a lot of new users.

The trouble is that writing such a book is a considerable effort. I don't
know how much incentive and motivation there is for the authors.

> ConTeXt could become very popular in teh TeX world if it had:
> - A decent versioning support (where you can get documentation and
> code that match and not code from 2008 with documentation from 2001)

If you really want, you can get code from 2001 and then the code and
documentation will watch (Just kidding).

> - Side-by-side development of manuals and code

That is done partly. The sources are very well documented in the most
part. But then, that is not user interface documentation, it is code
documentation.

> As it is  now, the developing community is restricted to the few gurus
> who can hack the ConTeXt source code. No other sane person will try to
> release and support something on such a volatile foundation. What
> ConTeXt looks to me currently, is a personal swiss army knife of a few
> people who have no need for end user documentation (so it never
> arrives). I moved to ConTeXt years ago for a project expecting ConTeXt
> to stabilize and come with better documentation. It never happened.

Unfortunately, when it comes to choosing TeX based markup alternatives,
you have two options: latex and context. Latex has been dorment for 15
years, and the developers are discussing the best way of solving complex
typesetting problems and the best way to design a user interface. It is
fairly well documented, because it is not evolving. (I don't know if LaTeX
takes advantage of etex primitives or not). Context is adding new features
constantly, there is not too much discussion on what is the best way to do
things, Hans adds features that work, and not many people mind
the not optimal speed or placements. The documentation is old, and at
places woefully inadequate.

So as a user, you have to choose between the less of the two evils :-(.

One way for ConTeXt to develop is to become modular (i.e. follow the LaTeX
model of development). Write a set of core macros, that are fixed and
stable. Document them well. Write a regression suite. And do not change
them. If you want new features, write a separate module with these
features. Every few years, move some of the functionality of the modules
into the core. This will help in solving the documentation problem. But
what about package clashes? Should I load the module on math after the
module on fonts but before the module for references? What about
documentation of modules? I don't know if this is a better scenario.

Another option is to have a editable book on wikibooks or some other
similar site, with a pdf export. Then the users can correct the mistakes
of the original book and the documentation will be up to date. There will
be difference in styles, although I am not sure how much this will matter.
The trouble with this model is that one will need to check the
documentation. Will the "many eyes will avoid mistakes" model work?

Aditya