Hi Gerben,

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> This should be based on (imo) merging the content of the excursion and
> the manual.

Here (and sometime earlier in the thread) you have suggested that you find
the scattered documentation of ConTeXt confusing and would like to see an
exhaustive manual. I agree with that in principle, but still believe that
excursion and the manual should be separate. The manual can be a superset
of excursion, but there needs to be "beginner's manual".

If there is a exhaustive manual, it will be *huge*. An exhaustive manual
on math will be of the size of a book; so would an exhaustive manual on
metapost/mp-lib (think of an updated metafun manual). I can also imagine
an exhaustive manual for fonts to be big (how do we handle fonts for
lua/xetex/pdftex; how do we handle fonts for different scripts, etc.); and
fairly large manuals for floats (three four mechanism for tables, about 20
ways to move around floats, etc.), critical editions (I don't know the
status of the proposed module), bib module (the user manual for biblatex,
which is similar in spirit to bib module, is huge), etc.

So, if we want exhaustive documentation and  a beginner's
manual, I see that we only have the option of expanding on the excursion
to have an upto date beginner's manual, expanding on the manual to have an
upto date (but not exhaustive) user manual, and have a series of
specialized exhaustive manuals. But that will still mean that the
documentation is scattered.

The way I see it, we can update the documentation, but not really solve
the problem of scattered documentation :-(

Aditya