Am Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:07:43 +0200 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>       Hello Ulrike,
>
>> 1. In the following document there is no space between the a and the y:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \begin{document}
>> \noindent a\\y
>>
>> \bigskip
>>
>> a\par y
>> \end{document}
>>
>> It looks as if the lines have only the depth from their content.
>
>   I don't seem to see that (see attachment).  How did you generate the
> format?  I used “luatex -ini pdflualatex.ini” where pdflualatex.ini
> contains
>
>       \pdfoutput1
>       \input latex.ltx

I tried it with a format generated by simply inputting latex.ltx (and
then \pdfoutput=1 in the document), with one which loads also
pdftexconfig.tex, and with a plain one:
% Thomas Esser, 1998. public domain.
% hyphenation tables are now set up in language.dat
\input pdftexconfig.tex
\input plain
\dump
\endinput

In all cases (also if I try dvi-output) the lines glue together. The
attachment text-lua is the pdf of the latex try.

>> 2. I found here some code to use truetype and opentype fonts:
>> http://luatex.bluwiki.com/go/Use_a_TrueType_font
>
>   Oh, that ;-)  You really have to realize that these lines of code are
> nothing more than an experiment I wrote one and a half year ago, and you
> should be prepared to extend it if you want complete TrueType support
> (not to mention OpenType features, which are absent altogether).

Yes I realized that ;-). Currently I'm trying simple code to understand
the principles so that I can later steal the right things from the
context files.

> That said, the problems should not be as bad as the ones you report
> below:
>
>> a) I tested it with a latin modern font and arial and with both fonts
>> all lines of a text are printed one above the other.
>> of the lines have a height and a depth.
>
>   That's not what happens to me, you should really send a precise example.

See test-lua2.tex + pdf

>> b) I also tried MnSymbol5.otf and there I get an error "invalid
>> character". (I tried to get an "A"). With xetex the font works fine.
>
>   I can't confirm that.  I get the A all right (see attachment).  Again,
> please send the precise example that fails.

The MnSymbol-Bold5 you used works fine for me too. MnSymbol5 is the font
doesn't work (the code is  -- commented -- in test-lua2):

<c:/PROGRAMME/MIKTEX2.7/fonts/opentype/public/mnsymbol/MnSymbol5.otf
!luaTeX error (file
c:/PROGRAMME/MIKTEX2.7/fonts/opentype/public/mnsymbol/MnSym
bol5.otf): Invalid character.
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--
Ulrike Fischer