Mohamed Bana wrote:

> I've also been wondering why LuaTeX is considerably slower than XeTeX.  Has
> anyone been doing any research into LuaJIT?

(1) luajit is non portable (not on all architectures) so for the moment
it's no option

(2) luatex will always be slower, because we do many things in lua ...
it's the price of flexibility and opening up

(3) although we do our best to speed up luatex and mkiv as much as
possible it's not our intention to compete in speed with pdftex (only
type 1, frozen funtionality, etc) and xetex (depencency of libraries,
closed engine, etc)

(4) at some point (and there are already a few areas where this si true)
  luatex/mkiv will be faster than a traditional tex engine where all
happens in macros (or is hadcodes)

(5) machines become faster and mem cheaper

(6) you're free to use the engine you like most

[our benchmark docs are not that much slower than for instance pdftex
esp when one consideres the extra functionality available]