Hello,

I'm forwarding the author's answer back to the mailing list. If anyone
has some nice idea about possible solutions, let us/him know ...
I don't remember how I was solving such problems so far, but I know
that I have always been missing:

% maybe even some external file with extremely long code
\starttikzpicture{picture name}
\stoptikzpicture

\placefigure{some figure}{\usetikzpicture{picture name}}

If that was implemented, maybe \usetikzpicture could be inside an hbox?

Mojca