Hi Taco,

> Olivier wrote:
>
> >> /usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/base/mp-tool.mp
>
> Can you guys check if these are the correct versions of mp-tool.mp ?
> The problem could be as basal as mp finding older versions of the
> metafun files (from before the mkiv support).

My mp-tool.mp file is the same as

http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/context/latest/metapost/context/base/mp-tool.mp

that is contains
if not known mpversion : string mpversion ; mpversion := "0.641" ; fi ;
and
%D        version=1998.02.15,

> (who assumes Olivier is on intel/amd, not powerpc)

I'm indeed working on a Debian system with intel plateform.
(But Hans' config is not that different : some sort of Unix with TeXlive
distrib.) The texlive packages I'm using are those of Norbert Preining,
last version.

What is the executable that is triggered by a call to mplib?
(I would like to check I have it installed, not only mpost.)
Again, everything else in conTeXt works well (otf direct from file
names, lua scripting, etc).

Olivier