Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> Well, it is "minimal" in the sense of dependencies, I guess.

and also in the sense that there is much left out that would never be
used at all; once luatex/mkiv is stable and once we have open type math
fonts, even more font stuff can go away (since xetex does not need it
either)

keep in mind that small trees run faster (when kpse is used)

also, they archive better (think of running 10 projects on a machine
where each needs a frozen tree)

another feature of the minimals is that by default they support
texmf-project and texmf-fonts which makes separation of project specific
files (and fonts) as well as commercial fonts more convenient.