On 11/21/2008 9:52 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> No, I had a deadline and in the end, I did URL breaking by hand, using
> \break at appropriate places. But it was a short article (4/5 pages).
>
> Aditya

So as far as we know, nobody has successfully used
\sethyphenatedurlbefore/after/etc. to tune the url-breaking mechanism.
Has anybody else on the list done this?

If not, maybe the mkii implementation has never worked for that
purpose... it's possible, since urls are breaking after hyphens when
lang-url.mkii says to break before hyphens.

If this is the case (\sethyphenatedbefore/after in mkii is broken), then
rather than awaiting a fix for the soon-obsolete mkii implementation,
maybe I can do a workaround. I need help with the tex details though,
please, as I am still very much a tex newbie...

We are generating our tex document, so verbosity is not a problem, but
irregularity would be.
Rather than inserting \break in various places manually, which would
have to be redone often, I could automatically insert \discretionary or
\allowbreak before/after the appropriate characters in the tex document.
Would that work?
How would I suppress hyphenation at other points -- \dontleavehmode or
something like that?

Thanks again,

Lars