Lars Huttar wrote:

> something like this:
>
>       switch to a serif style
>
> (if that's what \rm means in ConTeXt -- I still don't know for sure).

\rm in ConTeXT means: switch to the internal style group named "rm"
(and likewise for \ss -> "ss" etc.)

Whether "rm" points to a group of fonts that actually have serifs
attached to the glyph shapes depends totally on the specific typescript
that is being used in the document (usually they will, and I think all
the predefined typescripts are set up that way, but that is not a
requirement at all).

The basic idea is that the style "rm" switches to the font set used
for the main portion of the text. "ss" is the style for supporting
texts, like section heads and headers/footers. "tt" is useful for
fixed-width text, (this gets it own special group because it is very
often needed in manuals). "hw", and "cg" are variations for different
forms of supporting texts, these are rarely used.

Does it make more sense now?

Best wishes,
Taco