Dnia Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 01:15:28PM -0500, Aditya Mahajan napisał(a):
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'd like to typeset a system of simultaneous equations.  I want it to
> >have a brace on the left (like "cases"), but inside I want it to have
> >two columns aligned like "align".  Also, I'd like to have the vertical
> >space between the equations be small (like in cases), not so big as in
> >align.
> >
> >How to do this?
>
> I do not completely understand what you want. Do the following give the
> desired output.

Sorry;).

> \starttext
>
> \startformula
>   \startcases[align={right,left},distance=3pt]
>     \NC 2x + 3y \MC{} = 10 \NR
>     \NC 3x + 2y \MC{} = 5   \NR
>   \stopcases
> \stopformula
>
> \startformula
>   \startmatrix[align={right,left},distance=3pt,left={\left\{},
> right={\right.}]
>     \NC 2x + 3y \NC{} = 10 \NR
>     \NC 3x + 2y \NC{} = 5   \NR
>   \stopmatrix
> \stopformula
>
> \stoptext

Both work just fine, but with distance=0pt instead.  Thanks!  There is
only a minor problem with the former one: it's somehow shifted to the
left compared with the latter (both in MkII and MkIV).  I have no idea
why.

> The {} after the alignment \NC is useful if the next symbol is something
> that can be a uniary or binary symbol (eg, + or -). The {} tells tex to
> treat is as a binary symbol.

Of course - the {} is an "ord" atom for TeX, AFAIR.

> If you frequently need something like this, you can use
> definemathcases/definemathmatrix to define a new environment with
> appropriate parameters.

Yes; however, I'd still have to use the {} after the \NC...

> Aditya

Thank you!

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Nie mam w ręku miecza, ani karabinu, stoję nieuzbrojony pod murami Babilonu.
Wzywam pomocy Ducha - Duch przychodzi w ogniu!
Wokół zostają tylko gruzy Babilonu!
                        (Korzeń Z Kraju Melchizedeka)