Am 19.03.2009 um 15:19 schrieb Peter Rolf:

Hi Hans,

looks my knowledge of TeX is holey like a Leerdammer. Can you tell me why you fire a warning for already defined, non-global allocated registers? Some of them make sense here but even a grouped (and local allocated) register gives such a warning.

Because it's nonsense what you do, just assign the value to your
counter inside of the group and will be keeped local.

\newcount\OLDpdfcompresslevel

\def\disablePDFcompression
  {\bgroup
   \OLDpdfcompresslevel\pdfcompresslevel
   \pdfcompresslevel\zerocount\relax}

\def\allowPDFcompression
  {\pdfcompresslevel\OLDpdfcompresslevel\egroup}

Wolfgang