On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Taco Hoekwater <t...@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
>>
>> The most important thing I understand from reading the fonts manual
>> and the ConTeXt manual's old and new font chapter for the n-th time
>> (lost count), is that explaining fonts and their use is not a piece
>> cake. As such, every effort in trying to explain it in a way that's
>> understandable to non initiated people can only be appreciated and
>> welcomed.
>
> Any remaining inclarity in any published documentation is by definition
> unexpected by the author of that documentation. So if something is
> unclear, you really have to mention specifically what it is exactly
> that is unclear. Otherwise, no progress will ever be made...

When I write, I try to guess the level of understanding/background of the
reader.   With fonts (also graphics) it isn't appropriate to provide all the
background in a TeX documentation, so what is needed is a some
pointers to the required background material.   I do expect a reader
who comes without the required background to find things they don't
understand, but the way to handle that is to send them to the appropriate