Khaled Hosny wrote:
MPost graphics inside TRT direction are placed incorrectly overlapping
the text on the right, similar to what we had with \pdfximage (see the
attached PDF).

This seems to be unrelated to images issue since MPost graphics are
inserted as \pdfliteral. I'm not sure if this an engine or macro issue,
but I'm guessing the later.

Changing the \startMPLIBtoPDF so that the \hbox where the graphics is
placed is fixed to TLT direction fixes this, but I'm not sure if it is
safe to do so.

for the moment i did

\def\startMPLIBtoPDF#1#2#3#4% watch the transparency reset
  {\naturalhbox\bgroup

(as \naturalhbox is the official way)

this keeps the internal direction (in textext) the same as the outer one

idris: we need to discuss what aspects of r-l stay r-l and in what cases we revert to lr (as here) or even to lr inside constructs

it depends a bit on general rules for arabic typesetting