Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:41:47 -0400 (EDT) schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

There is also an experimental plain version (luatex-plain.tex which you
can rename to luatex.tex if needed). That gives you a plain tex with
stripped down context mkiv font support (only the minimal amount of lua
files are loaded). Some more info (also about generating the related
font database) can be found in in luatex-fonts.tex.
I wanted to try the font support together with latex but I have
problems to run mtxrun to build the font database.

I'm not using the minimals or texlive but miktex. To use luatex I
have made a small texmf tree and a texmf.cnf which includes my
miktex texmf-trees. This works fine with normal files like tfm, sty
etc. But my system seems not to find lua-files: mtxrun loads
mtx-fonts.lua (which is in the same folder) but stops then and
claims "file not found". Could you tell me which environment
variable or texmf.cnf or whatever setting luatex/mtxrun use to track
down lua-files?
Does your texmf.cnf set LUAINPUTS? If not, setting it to
$TEXMF/scripts/context/lua might help.

Luainputs was set, but I have some doubts that in the case of mtxrun
(which I call via luatex --luaonly mtxrun..) texmf.cnf is really
used as expected. In any case: I could generate the font name
database by moving font-syn.lua in the same folder as mtxrun.
it looks as if it is not yet possible to add it to the format. I get
errors when documentclasses call \normalsize.

just load it runtime then, prepend it to everyjob or so is also an option; anyway, the overhead of loading is 0.016 sec on my machine so it is neglectable