On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 20:14, Florian M. Baudach wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Florian M. Baudach wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I need german Umlaute in my formulas of my master thesis.
>>>
>>> I used \ddot{a} for ä. It had worked fine until I updated Context
>>> yesterday :-(. Since that update I only get an crossed a with an accent,
>>> but no ä.
>
> \starttext
> \usetypescript[times][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[times,11pt]
> \placeformula
> \startformula
>  Knappheit = \frac{Stimmen\ f \ddot{u}r\ erstplatzierte\ Partei -
> Stimmen\ f\ddot{u}r\
>  zweitplatzierte\ Partei}{G\ddot{u}ltige\
>  Stimmen}
> \stopformula
> \startformula
> \ddot a
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> When I use the Default-Font, then \ddot{} works fine. But when I switch
> to times, then I get an very strange symbol.
> (I wasn't able to attach the output of my example, because it was to big
> :-()
>
> This problem has started when I updated to:
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.04.10 18:02 MKII  fmt: 2009.4.12.
>
> Before the update \ddot{} worked also with times.
>
> Is there an solution?

Yes, use
    Knappheit = \frac{\text{Stimmen für erstplatzierte Partei} ...

but I agree that it needs to be fixed. I didn't manage to convince
Hans to fix this so far, so maybe you'll have more luck with it :) :)

This has been a known problem for a few months (my fault, sorry), but
I was sure that it has already been fixed a while ago.

------

I would suggest adding the file q-8r.enc to
   /fonts/enc/dvips/context/
and replace
   "encqrm ReEncodeFont" <q-rm.enc
with
   "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc
everywhere in original-youngryu-px.map and original-youngryu-tx.map.

Mojca