Hans Hagen wrote:
just to clarify things: on the download site in the garden, you write: "This release has support for the new mkiv structure code, but it needs a very new beta (2009.04.16 23:52)" The latest beta I could find was 2009.04.16 22:27, and with this, I still get the error

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> ... [\bibrefprefix ][\sectionseparator

as i'm clueless about what the code does, can you add this to t-bib.mkiv

There is actually a pretty elaborate documentation string in the code :(

\def\preparebibreflist#1%
  {\let\bibreflist\empty}

and see if it solves the problem?

Unlikely. It will remove the error message, though. ;)

Here is the relevant bit of docs:

%D \macros{preparebibrefprefix}
%D
%D The reference list only writes bare references when the criterium
%D is `all'. Otherwise, a prefix is added to make sure that pdfTeX
%D does not encounter duplicate named references. On the generation
%D side, this is not a big problem. \type{\preparebibrefprefix}
%D creates a suitable string to prepend if a prefix is needed.

Or, in pseudo-input:

 \chapter{...}
 \section{...}
 \placepublications[section]
 \section{..}
 \placepublications[section]
 \section{All chapter refs}
 \placepublications[chapter]

Can now work without crossreference key clashes, even though
each of the publication lists contains the same items (which
would all result in the same key names begin defined as cross-
reference labels if that prefix trickery was not in place)

But:

%D \macros{preparebibreflist}
%D
%D But this optional prefixing is a bit of a problem on the
%D other side. We would like to do \type{\goto{}[article-full]}
%D but can't do it like that, because the actual label may be
%D \type{1:2:0:3:4:article-full]} or so. The problem is solved
%D by building a commalist that looks like this:
%D \starttyping
%D \def\bibreflist%
%D    {1:2:0:3:4:article-full,
%D     1:2:0:3:article-full,