Hi Hans,

Indeed there is something going wrong with footnotes, and maybe the following remark may help fix the issue. It works (for me…) in the following example (note the \sction command commented out):

%%% begin basic-test.tex
\starttext

This file has been typeset
on \currentdate{}
at \currenttime,
with
\doifmodeelse{mkiv}
        {mkiv,
        LuaTeX version \the\luatexversion,
        LuaTeX revision \luatexrevision,
        (LuaTeX date stamp \luatexdatestamp),
        using the command: \par
        \type{context basic-test.tex}\par}
        {mkii,
        using the command: \par
        \type{texexec basic-test.tex}\par}
ConTeXt version \contextversion.

%\section{Testing a section} --> Here is the issue

\startitemize

\item test\footnote{This is a silly remark…}

\item test\footnote{This is a silly remark, inside an item…}

\stopitemize

test\footnote{This is another silly remark but outside items…}
\stoptext
%%%

On my machine running
mkiv, LuaTeX version 40,
LuaTeX revision 1, (LuaTeX date stamp 2009050813),
ConTeXt version 2009.05.11 12:48.
the markers are correctly shown as well as the numbered notes.

However if I uncomment the \section command the problem appears.

Best regards: OK