Am 11.05.2009 um 14:59 schrieb Yanrui Li:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Corsair <chris.cors...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm typesetting a double-sided document.  And I want the chapter
numbers to be in the right margin, while the chapter titles remain in
the main text area.  So I write

   \def\MyChapter#1#2
   {\inright{#1} #2}

   \setuphead
     [chapter]
     [command=\MyChapter]

But it renders such that all the chapter numbers disappear while
chapter titles seem normal.  Any idea?

I extract the following fragment from my document and I wish it can help you :)

\def\PlaceChapter#1#2{%
 \vbox{%
   \inoutermargin{%
     \hbox to .6\rightmarginwidth{%
       \hfil\switchtobodyfont[32pt,myfont,rm]{#1}\hss}%
   }\tfc #2%
 }%
}
\setuphead
 [chapter]
 [command=\PlaceChapter,header=empty,footer=empty]

As alternative:

\define[2]\PlaceChapter
  {\hbox{\vtop{#2}\rlap{\hskip\rightmargindistance#1}}}

\definefont[ChapterNumber][Serif at 32pt]

\setuphead
  [chapter]
[command=\PlaceChapter,numberstyle=ChapterNumber,textstyle= \tfc,header=empty,footer=empty]

Wolfgang