I've been doing some searching on how to create my own fonts. If
possible, I would like to be able to write my own program to
at least draw glyphs, even if I have to resort to other tools
to describe hinting, kerning and ligatures.

My current knowledge is this. I read that OpenType fonts are
actually Type 1 fonts embedded in an archive. So I used this
't1disasm' tool I found after wikipedia article on postscript
fonts and used it to decode one of ConTeXt minimal distribution
font file into a nice to read text file that looks like the
transcript below, and it seems to be something I could easily
understand if I find a reference.

I would like to ask you if I'm in the proper direction. There
are some issues I can't understand, like how can I make OpenType
fonts out of Type 1 fonts when the later are supposed to only
contain 256 characters (aren't they?). Or how to understand
this text file format so I can write my own glyphs.

Do you think I'm in the right direction. Do you think there's
an easier or better way if I want to create fonts without
using existing graphical tools?

Thanks,
Maurício

%%%%