Like I said, I tried "margin" and it does NOT work. "Margin" has no
effect on sub-lists.

\startitemize[n]
\item top level
  \startitemize[a,margin=5cm]
  \item sub item 1
  \item sub item 2
  \stopitemize
\stopitemize

"margin" does NOT affect the sublist at all.

Oh I apologize for the rant. (At least it got your attention!) However, I was
just stating the obvious: a plethora of other options (scribus, latex, etc)
combined with poor docs and a lack of help, will just send new users packing.
Eventually, you'll just be left with veteran users. It happens all the time
with open source projects...

I'm really trying to make this work for me though :)