On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 00:34, Xan wrote:
> En/na Taco Hoekwater ha escrit:
>>
>> Xan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have Intel Core Duo and when I run texexec the CPU resource in gnome is
>>> marked about 50%. Is it mean that texexec only use one processor? If it's,
>>> can you think to improve it for scalability?
>>>
>>> Just a curious question.
>>
>> Run two jobs at once ;-)
>>
>> Seriously: no, typesetting (currently) is a single-process streaming
>> task, and that is not easily fixed at all.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>
> Confirmed so :-)
> Yes, I understand it's not easy to "fix" it. I think it's a huge code task.

You cannot start processing page 500 before you know where page 499
wil end. TeX is not really a kind of application where you would gain
a lot by parallelization. And honestly, I don't remember seing many
applications using both cores. (Plus: I'm happy if other applications
continue to run smoothly instead of being blocked by TeX using 95% of
both processors.)

> It could be useful for offering typesetting services. I'm thinking about
> having a computation service like alpha.wolfram but with ConTeXt. Like
> ConTeXt online but benefit from multiple processors....

If you would offer a service, you would get multiple requests at the
same time anyway, so there's no real need for that in this case
(you'll face many more serious problems when offering typesetting
service).

> Joking, perhaps you could fix it in Mark VII ;-)

You can try XeTeX if you want to put load on both processors. It does
offer a parallel process as far as I heard, but then you'll probably
want support for quad-core once you get a better computer :)

Mojca