Mika Ritola wrote:
Hello,

I'm planning to write my Master's thesis in history using ConTeXt, and I've
done some experimenting on it to see if it's actually suitable for my
purposes. Everything seems to be quite simple except for one thing: the
bibliography. The bibliography guidelines for our history department are
rather complex in comparison to the formats that come packaged with ConTeXt,
and I have no idea how to implement them. So far, I've run into two
problems:

1. This one's probably very simple: there's the /insertauthors macro for
inserting the whole name of the author. But how do you insert just the last
name of the author?

2. This one, on the other hand, is likely to be rather non-trivial: the
bibliography needs to be broken up into several categories of sources. For
example, audiovisual sources, newspaper sources and books should be listed
under separate headings, somewhat like this:

BIBLIOGRAPHY

I. AUDIOVISUAL SOURCES

[some sources]

II. NEWSPAPER SOURCES

[...]

III. BOOKS

[...]

I've tried to decipher the source code of the Bib module but as I'm not
particularly fluent in TeX, I haven't been able to make much headway so far.
I'd appreciate some hints on where to start with this. I don't suppose
there's any existing code for something like this? Maybe I'd be better off
writing the bibliography by hand?

currently the bibtex support is being integrated in the core so if some extension is needed, we can try to deal with it, but only in mkiv (btw, next year it so we will provide a new (extra) interface to bibliographies)

- concerning 1: i'm sure users on this list can help you with that

- concerning 2: it is not that complex to add an extra level of filtering (using the type key), but we need an example first; best coordinate this with Thomas Schmitz who does testing of the latest code