On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

Oops, you're right, I just tested with Ubuntu and see that it must be something in my private texmf tree. I'll report back as soon as I find out what it is!

OK, I found the culprit: an older version of LinuxLibertine in my $HOMEtexmf; when I replaced it with the most recent version, the error went away. Looks like the fontload mechanism in the latest beta is pickier than in the version before that...

Thanks luigi, and sorry for the noise

Thomas