> If I update the minimals via first-setup.sh I get the 32bit-binaries (luatex)
> although I'm on Snow Leopard. If I change the binaries myself it works fine
> and the compilation is notable faster!

Andreas,

Can you please try one thing?

In first-setup.sh you can try to add the following lines (around line
56, after the platforms are being recognized):

if test "$platform" = "osx-intel"; then
  # running Snow Leopard or later
  if test `uname -r|cut -f1 -d"."`  -ge 10 ; then
    # working on 64-bit hardware
    if test `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` = 1; then
      platform="osx-64"
    fi
  fi
fi

And then update the minimals. After that try to paste the same lines
to "setuptex" around line 59, try to run setuptex and try if you get
the 64-bit binaries and if they work fine (I can try to do that
myself, but I try to avoid rebooting my machine too often). You need
to fix setuptex after you update the distribution since updating will
change setuptex.

If that works for you, I'll fix it.

Mojca