Hi all,

I need help for the following situation: in a maths paper I would like to have
Definitions, Lemmas, Theorems, etc, numbered in a sequential way in each
section if any, the numbers being set before the header, and also to be able to
refer to them through cross references. For instance, when there is indeed at
least a section, in section 1, I would like to have something like

        1.1 Definition. Here is the text of the definition in slanted style.
        … some text…
        1.2 Lemma. Here is the text of the lemma  in slanted style.
        …some text…
        1.3 Theorem. Here is the text of the theorem  in slanted style.
        …some text…
        1.4 Corollary. Here is the text of the corollary  in slanted style.

And if there is no section at all:

        1. Definition. Here is the text of the definition  in slanted style.
        … some text…
        2. Lemma. Here is the text of the lemma  in slanted style.
        …some text…
        3. Theorem. Here is the text of the theorem  in slanted style.
        …some text…
        4. Corollary. Here is the text of the corollary  in slanted style.

One way would be to define 4 descriptions or enumerations with
\definedescription or \defineenumeration
but then I don't know how to have numbers incremented in a sequential way in
all these descriptions.
Another issue with this approach would be that then if one wants to have for
example a Conjecture or a Guess, one has to define a new description or
enumeration.

Has anyone run into such a situation?

The example below shows what I need to do (but actually I wasn't able to add
the section number as a prefix to the number…).
Best regards: OK

%%%% begin
\newcounter\Lemmacount
\setcounter\Lemmacount1
\def\Lemmanumber%
   {\global\increment\Lemmacount
    {\bf \Lemmacount.~}}

\def\startLemma#1%
   {\blank \Lemmanumber~{\bf #1.} \start\sl}
\def\stopLemma%
   {\blank \stop}

\starttext
Some text before the numbered descriptions start.

\startLemma{Definition}
This is the first numbered definition; it's short.
\stopLemma

Here some more text\dots and then a lemma:

\startLemma{Lemma}
This is another numbered definition.  It's long enough to wrap around onto
more than one line, so as to show that these can be numbered and contain as
well blank lines and formulas
\startformula
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
\stopformula
And some comment after the formula.
\stopLemma

And here is the remainder of the text\dots
\stoptext
%%%% end