Am 01.01.2010 um 15:07 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

> Observations:
>
> 1. One can even do without the textbackground material for some reason.

You need textbackground to draw the frame around the text

> 2. \placestreamlayer apparently can only be used once (try uncommenting the
> last lines). So it doesn't nearly behave like a buffer...

You can still write the text in a buffer and use the buffer in the streamlayer.

> 3. There's some vertical space between the frame and the first line of text.
> Is this some \topskip thing? How can I get rid of this space?

When you want only text in two columns \startsimplecolumns ...
\stopsimplecolumns
is a alternative to the normal columns environment and it works also in \framed
(which is used in \setlayerframed).

Wolfgang