On 13-1-2010 20:59, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:

Odd by the way, that so many people apparently refrain from using spaces in
directory and file names, because this did not surface earlier. It can make
things a lot more readable. The habit of avoiding spaces is probably a holdover
from old times where OS's were much more restrictive in filenaming.

I prefer to work with my computer, not against it. Whenever you want to script something or do something
remotely, spaces in file names give you nothing but grief. And I don't think "My Stuff" is so much
more readable than "My-Stuff" or "My_Stuff" or ... But to each their own, I guess, if you
think that spaces in filenames are so 2010 and avoiding them old hat.

also, as nowadays guis can use proportional fonts, it's easy to oversee two spaces in a row which makes debugging a pain

esp when we get graphics from third parties we need to be pretty aware of inconsistency in

- upper/lowercase (and mixed)
- suffixes
- multiple spaces
- underscores vs hyphens

the problem being that in gui apps one just clicks on a (potentially messy) name but in automated flows one needs to be exact.