On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:31:22PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> - The deciding moment when some of these ugly tricks have been thrown
> away was when we realized that if you do add those tricks, there is no
> way to print the grave accent. (Grave accent will be automatically
> converted to the same "comma" that you get in quotation marks.) In
> good old TeX the grave accent (`) and the character that you get when
> you type ` are at two different slots. In Unicode-encoded fonts that's
> not doable. This means that if one wants to enable the `` trick then
> there's no way to allow composite characters with grave accent or the
> character ` in typewriter font. In most cases that is not a problem
> since Unicode fonts usually support a wide range of characters, but I
> already had to use a character not present in Unicode. And that was
> not doable until the hack has been removed.

Now, I feel there is some thing wrong here, (`) is not an accent
(despite it misleading Unicode name), but rather a spacing character, so
typing n` to get ǹ is wrong; you should use (̀ ) instead (this is
U+0300), since the later is the combining grave accent while the former
is a spacing character.

Regards,
 Khaled

--